pages

3.27.2010

Color Fest!

Today my friends Camie, Whitney, Spencer and I took a little road trip to the town of Spanish Fork. There were quite a few of us that were supposed to be in attendance but needless to say, all but the four of us bailed. It was so much fun though! Seriously anytime spent with my friends is time well spent and all we do is laugh! We took this little trip so we could go the annual Holi Color Festival. Now all of you are probably asking yourselves "What is Color Fest?" Well I will let google explain it for you:

In India Holi announces the arrival of spring and the passing of winter. It is a festival that breathes an atmosphere of social merriment. People bury their hatchets with a warm embrace and throw their worries to the wind. Every nook and corner presents a typically colorful sight. Young and old alike are covered with colors (red, green, yellow, blue, black and silver). People in small groups are seen singing, dancing and throwing colors on each other.

There will be musical interludes, the lighting of a bonfire, burning of an effigy, and the throwing of dry colors on friends and foe alike. The dry powders supplied by the temple are non stain, but still guests are cautioned not to wear their "Saturday Best."

Spencer, Me and Camie
The middle effect
It was a blast! None of us knew exactly what to expect because it was all our first time; but it did live up to our expectations. We wore all white so we could see how dirty we got and the contrast. As we walked up to the Temple, people began throwing the 'colors' at us and it was very startling at first. We would get comments like "You're too white!" and then they'd fix that problem by throwing crap on us.


The fight- I'm the one with my hand in the air and Spencer is peeking out from behind me.

The Colors Festival had quite the interesting crowd but I'm begining to notice pretty much any public event does. Oh, and I forgot to say what the best part about the Festival is... IT"S FREE! You read correctly, FREE! We only stayed for about an hour because it's super hard to breath from all the chalk like substance in the air. We stopped and ate Sonic on our way home and rocked out to music (except Spencer, he slept). I had to wash my hair three times before all the color came out and I'm still waiting to see if comes out of my clothes. Even if it does stain, it was well worth it! I think it's going to be a new tradition.
Camie, Spencer, Me and Whitney at the Temple


Being silly as we leave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...