pages

6.24.2011

Dating!

Institute: one of the best things to ever happen to this world!!!! I LOVE institute so much! This week our lesson was on dating and we speed dated! It was so cool, Brother Hatch paired each of us up and would give us a scripture to read and then we had to apply that scripture to dating and discuss our feelings. After that he would give us a quote and we had to do the same thing. After that, we'd discuss it as a class we'd do the same routine with another partner. I had a blast and learned so much doing so. I am so angry at myself that I forgot my journal so I couldn't write anything down! But here are some of the things I could remember/wrote on my handouts that stuck out to me:



-"And one good yardstick as to whether a person might be the right one for you is this: in her presence, do you think your noblest thoughts, do you aspire to your finest deeds, do you wish you were better than you are?" -Ezra Taft Benson
I thought these were incredible questions to ask yourself after a date. Granted, I'm changing it to 'he' :) So I'm printing these out and hanging them on my mirror so when I come home from a date, I too can ask myself these same questions.

-Weaken the natural man. "One of the best ways we can put “off the natural man” is to starve him. Weakened, he is more easily dislodged. Otherwise, he insists on getting his ticket punched at every stop on the temptation train. Sadly, corrective words do not usually help the natural man either, because lust chokes the word." -Neil A. Maxwell
I think especially when dating Satan works extremely hard on tempting you and strengthening your 'natural man'. I especially like in this quote where it says "he insists on getting his ticket punched at every stop on the temptation train." If we let him in at all, he will continue to push and push. We need to steer clear of any situation where our 'natural man' will lash out and take control. With one little invittation, our whole world could be turned upside down for the worse and Satan can take control.

-No one is perfect. And if they are, they certainly wouldn't be interested in you.
I thought this was way funny, and so true! If someone was perfect why would they have any interest in someone who wasn't? Too often when thinking of dating someone we go through our 'perfect check list' and if someone doesn't fit all the categories we write them off. I think we, at least I do, expect people to be perfect when I know no one is. This quote is short and sweet and something that I need to keep reminding myself of.


I am so excited to start this new chapter of my life and I really hope dating will be in the cards. However, if it's not, life will go on. I feel like this lesson just strengthened and helped remind me of what I've been taught all my life and will help immensly with dating! I think too often we forget that dating leads to marriage which leads to eternity. Two things that my parents have always told me and I never forget it "Be the person you want to marry" and "You marry who you date". These thoughts goes through my mind quite often when I am making decisions regarding life and dating. Especially lately, I've seen how my decisions now impact my future. Each and everyday I try to become a better person than I was yesterday in hopes to one day get married and sealed in the temple and have a family of my own and watch them experience the same things I am today.

1 comment:

  1. Ashlee! I love your blog and I love the things you've posted about. Especially this one. You just graduated and you're diving head first into a world of single people and dating. Have fun with it! And remember all the things you learned in your class. I loved the first quote! That was one major thing that helped me to realize Rob was perfect for me :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...